Legal Header

Project Application

Notice of Application
Application No. 1909287
Bellatrix Exploration Ltd.
Willesden Green Field

The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) has received application 1909287.

Description of the Application
Bellatrix Exploration Ltd. (Bellatrix) has applied under section 80 of the Oil and Gas Conservation Act (OGCA) for a pooling order prescribing that all tracts within the drilling spacing unit comprising Section 15, Township 43, Range 9, West of the 5th Meridian, be operated as a unit to produce gas from the Mannville Formation through the 100/04-15-043-09W5/00 well and through other wells to be drilled up to a maximum of four wells per pool per section.

Bellatrix has requested, among other things, that costs and revenues under the pooling order be allocated on a tract-area basis and that Bellatrix be named operator of the wells. Specifically, Bellatrix has asked that the actual costs of, and revenues from, the wells be split among all tract owners based on the percentage of mineral interests allocated. Bellatrix has asked that a 200 per cent penalty, allowed under section 80(5) of the OGCA, be applied to a tract owner’s share of the actual costs of drilling and completing the wells in the formation if the tract owner does not pay within 30 days of whichever of the following occurs last:

  • The pooling order being issued
  • The tract owner being notified in writing of its share of the actual costs
  • The wells beginning production

Bellatrix has also asked that the 200 per cent penalty be applied to 100 per cent of the tract owner’s share of the proceeds of the sale of gas produced from the wells. This differs from the standard AER clauses that state that 20 per cent of the proceeds must be remitted to the tract owner and the remaining 80 per cent would be applied to a tract owner’s share of the drilling and completion costs.

Bellatrix has also requested that if a tract’s share of the operating expenses of the wells for any month is not paid within 15 days of the owner of the tract being billed for such expenses, then 100 per cent of the tract owner’s share of the proceeds will be applied to the tract owner’s share of operating costs. This differs from the standard AER clauses that state that 20 per cent of the proceeds must be remitted to the tract owner and the remaining 80 per cent would be applied to a tract owner’s share of the operating cost.

For a copy of the application, contact

Bellatrix Exploration Ltd.
1920, 800 – 5 Ave SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3T6
Attention: Jessica Lowen
Telephone: 403-303-3758
Fax: 403-264-8163
Email: jessica.lowen@bxe.com 

To view the application and supporting documents, use the Integrated Application Registry available under Systems & Tools on the AER website, www.aer.ca. To receive a copy of the application and supporting documents, submit an information request, as outlined at www1.aer.ca/ProductCatalogue/ordering.html, to

AER Order Fulfillment
Suite 1000, 250 – 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 0R4
Telephone: 1-855-297-8311 (toll free; option 0)
Fax: 403-297-7040
Email: InformationRequest@aer.ca 

Refer to this notice when requesting information for a faster response.

Requirement to File a Statement of Concern
If you have concerns with this application, you must file a statement of concern as described below. If you do not file a statement of concern, the AER may approve the application without further notification.

How to File a Statement of Concern
For your submission to be considered a valid statement of concern, it must be filed before 4:00 p.m. on July 20, 2018. Send one copy of your statement of concern to Bellatrix at the name and address above and one copy to

Authorizations Branch
Alberta Energy Regulator
Suite 1000, 250 – 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0R4
Fax: 403-297-7336
Email: SOC@aer.ca 

Contents of a Statement of Concern
For your submission to be considered a valid statement of concern, it must include

  1. why you believe you may be directly and adversely affected by a decision of the AER on the application;
  2. the nature of your objection to the application;
  3. the outcome of the application you advocate;
  4. the location of your land, residence, or activity in relation to the location of the energy resource that is the subject of the application; and
  5. your contact information, including your name, address in Alberta, telephone number, and email address or, if you do not have an email address, your fax number.

The AER also requests that you include the application number in your statement of concern.

Confidentiality
Section 49 of the Alberta Energy Regulator Rules of Practice (Rules of Practice) requires that all documents and information filed in a proceeding be placed on the public record. If you file a submission, you must not include any personal information that you do not want to appear on or are not authorized to put on the public record. Section 49(2) of the Rules of Practice states how to apply to the AER for an order to keep information confidential. The Rules of Practice is available on the AER website at www.aer.ca.

Jurisdiction
Submissions relating exclusively to compensation for land use are not dealt with by the AER and should be referred to the Alberta Surface Rights Board.

Under section 21 of the Responsible Energy Development Act, the AER does not have the jurisdiction to assess the adequacy of Crown consultation associated with the rights of aboriginal peoples as recognized and affirmed under the Constitution Act, 1982.

For information on AER procedures, contact the application specialist, XinXin Sun, by phone at 403-297-8309, or by email to xinxin.sun@aer.ca.

Issued at Calgary, Alberta, on June 28, 2018.

ALBERTA ENERGY REGULATOR

Patricia M. Johnston, Q.C., General Counsel