Our estimated processing time for applications involving measurement deviations is 30 business days.
Our estimated processing time for applications involving equipment spacing and other production operations is 15 business days.
See our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
Companies sometimes experience unforeseen issues or emergencies at their operating wells, facilities, and pipelines that could not be anticipated in their original licence or approval applications. In these cases, companies must request approvals, waivers, extensions, and regulatory variances for production activities at operating facilities. These requests are for the following:
- deviations from the measurement requirements in Directive 017: Measurement Requirements for Oil and Gas Operations
- equipment spacing
- other production operations requests (e.g., proposing an alternate use for a pop tank)
The operational authorizations process should be used if the request is for
- a licence exempt site/activity (as defined by Directive 056: Energy Development Applications and Schedules sections 5.5.1, 5.5.2, and 5.5.3), or
- an existing site where a licence amendment application is not required (requirements for licence amendments can be found in Directive 056, pages 5-44 and 5-45).
Submit an Application
Companies must email their applications to one of the following addresses. The submission must include mandatory documents listed in our checklist. Applicants can attach supporting documents if they are needed.
- For measurement deviations under Directive 017: Directive017Applications@aer.ca
- For equipment spacing and other production operations requests: ProductionOperationsApplications@aer.ca
- This application should only be submitted to AER field centres if an equipment spacing waiver is needed during well servicing and completion.
The company name, type of request, and location must be specified in the email subject line. For example:
- ABC Company, Chart Extension, 01-01-001-01W4M, or
- ABC Company, Spacing Waiver, 01-01-001-01W4M
If the email subject line does not identify the request, we will close the application without further review.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete or the applicant does not identify the type of request), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review.
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review. We may close the application if we do not receive a response within a specified timeframe.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice.
- We will email our decision letter directly to the applicant. We will also share our decision on our Publication of Decision page.